[Duplicity-talk] resume interrupted backup + changed files - are they sa

From: Mark Diab
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] resume interrupted backup + changed files - are they saved properly?
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2018 08:54:04 +0200

Hi List,

I'm running duplicity (0.7.10) to back up several servers and recently I've hit the signature file >2GB bug when incrementals became too old and it tried to make a new full backup, so I had to increase --max-blocksize.

Duplicity seems to be recovering OK, however, it made me wonder about files that have changed in the meantime (between the crash and the resumed recovery). It's quite a lot of files so I'd prefer not to start over from the beginning of the full backup but resume what's already uploaded.

Now, if i understand correctly resume is basically implemented as a "fake" backup not doing any uploads up to the point of the last backed up file. I can see that the SigTar file is regenerated. I assume that sigtar contains the metadata to detect changes. However, this may lead to a situation where checksums / file meta information contains different data (time of resume) than the actual archive (backed before those files were changed).

My question is if anyone knows what happens to those files? Is this how resume works? Does it mean that duplicity is never going to back up files that were changes between crash<>resume  because their change went unnoticed since the meta data contains newer files than the archive uploaded before the crash?

thanks,

Mark