edu-eu

Call for Partners -> Linux in Youthwork

From: andrea mayr
Subject: Call for Partners -> Linux in Youthwork
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 16:00:25 +0100 (CET)

hi,

this Call is explicitely directed to this list. i posted a prior
version two weeks ago on the main discussion list of the fsf-europe. after
getting feedback i realised that there is some additional
information necessary, which i decided to work out before posting it
here. the chances for getting a fund from the european unions
YOUTH programme are pretty good, AFAIK..

ok, i guess it makes more sense to read the announcement first ..

would be glad to get some feedback,
greetings
andrea

Call for Partners

(apologies for cross-posting)
Please pass this invitation on to people who might be  interested in
attending.

YOUTH

Netbridge, located in Vienna/Austria, is a coordination agency for IT
and CT in youth work. We are a non-profit organisation, physically and
organisationally hosted by Austria's Center for Social Innovation. Our
aim is to help youth workers to deal with computer technology. We try to
generate competence by offering training courses, inform about
individual project-relevant issues or simply offer advice on their
specific problems related to new media.

We are looking for partners in order to apply to a European union
program called "YOUTH"(action 5). Our intention is to bring together
partners to work on solutions that should make it easier for youth
workers to use Linux in their work with kids. As our experience clearly
shows, youth workers are in general attracted to Linux but fear
unexpected problems (i.e. configuration, compatibility) when using it
on a daily basis. There exists a need for specific information as well
as for specifically configured setups or tools.

We are looking for people who are interested to cooperate in working on
solutions that can help to reach this goal.

We are looking for people/institutions that:

- have experience in working with kids or youngsters, on professional or
  simply private levels and do use Linux to support the kids computer
  skills.
- do have the technical qualification as well as the motivation to work
  on solutions for this project
- do have experience in other relevant fields, like organizing support
  scenarios, or promoting/sponsoring concepts that are compatible with the
  idea of free software in general, etc
- are active in youthwork and are planning to implement linux.

emphasized questions we will keep track of:

- What's the motivation of using free software in youthwork?
- Which steps need to be taken in order to facilitate the first contact
  with Linux? (on a technical basis i.e. offering bootable cd-rom's)
- What meassures need to be taken permanently in order to
  support a long term use of Linux?
- Which initiatives have got to be set locally, which ones are
  predestined to be done world/nationwide.
- In which ways does the initiative gain publicity?

There are two meetings planned.

A preparatory visit, 22.-24. of May 2002
This should enable us to discuss the project based idea and
corresponding to everyones qualifications allowing us to prepare and
conceptualise the upcoming event. The visit will involve one
representative per partner, who will receive 100% of travel cost as well
as about 50 Euro per day (contribution to accommodation costs) .

The Main Event, 21.-27.July 2002 (alternatively: 25.8-1.9.2002)
Goal of this event will be to get sustainable solutions in answer to the
above questions. Solutions, in this context may be conceptual,
as well as technical ones. Discoursive exchange of experience
should help us to reach conclusions for specific problems. These results
are intended to be applied by producing new, or improving already
available utilities. The outcome of the project should be useable
as an information pool and a platform to explain concepts
of exemplary realisations of using Linux in youthwork. Up to 25
people can attend and will get 100% of travel cost as well as about 50
Euro per day (contribution to accommodation costs).

If you want to participate in this common efforts, please contact:
address@hidden
Deadline for this Call is Friday, 18th of January, 2002.

As an individual there is the need for having a background organisation
due to application terms.
Following link describes the partnership information we need to receive
from you. If you have any problems concerning this issue please do not
hesitate to contact us.
http://www.netbridge.at/partners.html

Netbridge - Coordination Office
for New Technology and Youthwork in Vienna/Austria,
Koppstrasse 116/11, 1160 Vienna, Austria
phone.: +43 (1) 4950442/75, fax.: +43 (1) 4950442/40