edu-eu

[edu-eu]Re: Freeduc-cd release 1.3

From: Bernhard Reiter
Subject: [edu-eu]Re: Freeduc-cd release 1.3
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 11:40:10 +0200

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 11:14:31AM +0200, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 01:17:25 +0200
> Bernhard Reiter <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>       On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 12:48:38PM +0200, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
>       > On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 11:10:36PM +0200, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

>       > > http://www.ofset.org/projects/edusoft/edusoft.html
>       Looking more closely at the list of packages
>       it still reveals that proprietory software is on the CD.
>
>       Like 3270-common 3.2.17-2, xsnow  1.42-3 which are in Debian non-free.
>       I suggest you check all packages regarding their Debian status.
>

> Thanks for the feedback, please can you consider to write a note at the
> http://www.ofset.org/wiki/index.php/FreeFreeduc each time you encounter
> a non free related issue within freeduc-cd. Thanks!

I usually like to report by email.
You'll find hints in the Free Software Knoppix instruction page.

>       Additionally I suggest to be careful with the packages that have
>       patent problems which are know to be exploited, like GIF (gimp-non-free)
>       or encoders in xine or xanim.
>

> Agree, however I will probably not remove the gimp-non-free package, althought
> there is a patent related problem. The software in itself is free, don't you?

If we can avoid using clearly by patents tainted software
including a real threat (unisys billing you) and if there are
alternatives (ogg for mpeg, png for gif) we should avoid software
which uses patented algorithms.

Patents do make software non-free, you loose the freedom to learn
from the software and use the knowledge. Usually the patents also
prohibit that you can use that piece of code for other purposes.

        Bernhard