eev

Re: [eev] Dilemna

From: Eduardo Ochs
Subject: Re: [eev] Dilemna
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 14:09:54 -0400

Hello Xavier,

I've been doing experiments myself with generating scripts
semi-automatically, but the process is still not as convenient as it
should... let me give you some examples.

If you run this,

  (find-eev-update-links)

you get an "*Elisp hyperlinks*" buffer with a e-script that is part
elisp hyperlinks, part shell stuff (in eepitch blocks), and part a
multi-line (progn ...) block. So far, so good, but if you look at the
source for `find-eev-update-links', with

  (find-efunction 'find-eev-update-links)

by the way: I got the sexp above by typing `M-h M-f' with the point on
"find-eev-update-links", and then doing some cut-and-paste - you will
see that definition of `find-eev-update-links' is horrible, as its
body is a big block like this:

    (apply 'find-elinks `(
      (find-eev-update-links ,dir ,@rest)
      (find-eev-update-links "~/eev-current/" ,@rest)
      (find-eev-update-links ,edir ,@rest)
      ))

I've abandoned this approach in favor of "templates" - but I just
discovered (shame!) that most of my template-based functions are still
at my .emacs... 8-( Anyway, let me give you an example of how to use
them. Here's a rewrite of find-psne-links in template-ish form:

  --snip--snip--

;; First some half-mysterious, half-helpful links, as always
;; (find-find-links-links)
;; (find-find-links-links "psne")
;; (find-efunction 'find-psne-links)
;; (find-eev "eev-browse-url.el" "find-psne-links")
;; (find-eev "eev-browse-url.el" "conversion-functions" "eeurl-u-to-f")
;; (find-efunctiondescr 'ee-template)
;; (find-psne-links "{http://foo/bar}";)
;; (find-psne-links "http://foo/bar";)
;;
(defun find-psne-links (&optional url &rest rest)
  "Visit a temporary buffer containing an e-script for psne-ing URL."
  (interactive)
  (apply 'find-elinks `(
    ;; Convention: the first sexp always regenerates the buffer.
    (find-psne-links ,url ,@rest)
    ;; Body:
    ,(ee-template
      `(("http://foo/bar"; ,url)
        ("$S/http/foo/" ,(file-name-directory (eeurl-u-to-f url)))) "
 (eepitch-shell)
mkdir -p {$S/http/foo/}
cd       {$S/http/foo/}
wget     '{http://foo/bar}'
echo     '{http://foo/bar}' >> ~/.psne.log")
    ) rest))

(eeurl-define-from :url->action: 'find-psne-links
                   :remote:      'brep)

  --snip--snip--

I am not sure if you are familiar with psne, brep, etc... if you put
the point over a url and type `M-x brep' the system will invoke some
tools from browse-url and will create a script to let you download a
local copy of that url...

Ok, I admit that this example is not very enlightening... but I've
been adapting this idea of templates in several ways - for example,
`M-x bruntgz' on a url like

  http://www.lua.org/ftp/lua-5.1.4.tar.gz

creates a buffer whose first line is:

# (find-template-untgz "http://www.lua.org/ftp/lua-5.1.4.tar.gz"; nil)

If I change it to

# (find-template-untgz "http://www.lua.org/ftp/lua-5.1.4.tar.gz"; "lua")

and run that sexp, it regenerates the buffer with the right "code" for
`code-c-d', and its contents will be like this:

  ----snip--snip--
# (find-template-untgz "http://www.lua.org/ftp/lua-5.1.4.tar.gz"; "lua")

#####
#
# lua-5.1.4
# 2008aug31
#
#####

# http://www.lua.org/ftp/lua-5.1.4.tar.gz
#
rm -Rv ~/usrc/lua-5.1.4/
tar -C ~/usrc/ -xvzf \
  $S/http/www.lua.org/ftp/lua-5.1.4.tar.gz
cd     ~/usrc/lua-5.1.4/

#
# (code-c-d "lua" "~/usrc/lua-5.1.4/")
# (find-luafile "")
  ----snip--snip--

This kind of trick has been saving me a LOT of time to write
e-scripts... I have a handful of those functions, but at this moment
most of them are debian-related, and only a few have been converted to
use ee-template, so it makes no sense to include the code for them in
this message... here's an example of their output, though
(hand-edited, of course):

  http://angg.twu.net/e/coq.e.html#coq-deb-src

> As a DBA, I would (could) probably want to use it but here again
> I do not. Why ? Because even if I would use it, I would have to
> replace strings here and there to do a basic task such as
> rebuilding my indexes or stuff like that. I find it quicker and
> easier to type the query.

I am pretty sure that we can adapt these ideas to your needs as a DBA
and as a Slackware user, but how?... Can you send me some of the
scripts that you said that you always end up changing by hand? I can
try to show you how I would automate some of them and ask you for
feedback, and we may have some insights in the process...

Again: I have used databases very, very little, but let me point
(again?) to some eev features that you may not be aware of. In

  http://angg.twu.net/e/sqlite.e.html#sqlite3

you will find these two defuns:

  --snip--snip--
(defun eepitch-music ()
  "Like `eepitch-shell', but runs \"sqlite3 /tmp/music.sqlitedb\"."
  (interactive)
  (eepitch-comint "sqlite: music" "sqlite3 /tmp/music.sqlitedb"))

(defun find-musicsl (sqlstatements &rest rest)
  "Like `find-sh', but runs \"sqlite3 /tmp/music.sqlitedb SQLSTATEMENTS\"."
  (apply 'find-eoutput-reuse
         (format "*music: %s*" sqlstatements)
         `(insert (find-callprocess00
                   '("sqlite3" "/tmp/music.sqlitedb" ,sqlstatements)))
         rest))
  --snip--snip--

For each database that I had - to make things simpler, let me keep
using "music" as the name of a database - I created two functions:
`eepitch-music', and `find-music<somesuffix>'... but I guess that you
know how to use these functions. What I wanted to point out is that
there are some special keys to create "eepitch headers", like:

 (eepitch-music)
 (eepitch-kill)
 (eepitch-music)

and to wrap a single-line command - ".dump", for example - in a line
like:

  -- (find-musicsl ".dump")

Some links:
  (find-efunctiondescr 'ee-wrap-eepitch)
  (find-eev "eev-insert.el" "ee-wrap-eepitch")
  http://angg.twu.net/eev-current/eev-insert.el.html#ee-wrap-eepitch
  (find-efunctiondescr 'eev-mode "wrap")
  (find-efunction 'ee-hyperlink-prefix)
  (find-eev "eev-insert.el" "ee-hyperlink-prefix")
  http://angg.twu.net/eev-current/eev-insert.el.html#ee-hyperlink-prefix

Actually there's a key (M-S) to wrap the current line in a `find-sh',
but nothing similar for a database call; we would have to create that.
Also, I just noticed that the defuns for `eepitch-music' and
`find-musicsl', above, don't include "PAGER=cat"; `eepitch-mysql', in
my .emacs, does. Here it is:

(defun eepitch-mysql () (interactive)
  (eepitch '(let ((process-environment
                   (cons "PAGER=cat" process-environment)))
              (find-comintprocess "mysql" "mysql -u root"))))

Well, let me stop here now - and go back to the working on the
javascript version of the flipbooks
(http://angg.twu.net/emacs.html#flipbooks), and on a .texi file
generator...

  Cheers,
    Eduardo Ochs
    address@hidden
    http://angg.twu.net/

P.S.: hey - I do not expect you to digest all that that I wrote
above... au contraire! I wrote it because (1) it can be useful for
everyone reading the list, and (2) to inspire you to explain more, and
give feedback... So - your turn now? Cheers, E.