Re: [emacs-bidi] Re: [emacs-bidi]status? news?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Re: [emacs-bidi]status? news?
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 13:28:25 +0200 (IST)

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Roozbeh Pournader wrote:

> > Btw, do you plan to do anything in Fribidi to solve some of the
> > nonsensical results cited in UTR9?  For example, this result is dead
> > wrong (the exclam should be on the right edge of the L2R text):
> >
> >  HE SAID "it is a car!" AND RAN  =>  NAR DNA "!it is a car" DIAS EH
>
> I don't get what you mean by "should be".

"it is a car!" is a left-to-right text, so the exclam should be displayed
to the right of `r', even though it is surrounded by R2L characters.

> Is the first sequence the
> sequence of keys the user presses on the keyboard or the sequence of
> bytes that was stored in the file?

Both (the logical order is, by definition, the order in which the user
types).  This example is taken directly from the Freebidi home page, and I
understand that the left side is the text in logical order, whereas the
right part is the visual order.  I'm saying that the position of the
exclam in the visual order is wrong, IMHO.