Re: [emacs-bidi] status? news?

From: Roozbeh Pournader
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] status? news?
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 22:50:26 +0330 (IRT)

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> We've beaten this to death in the past, I think.  Visual order has
> disadvantages, and its advantages are mostly illusions: you simply
> move the logical to visual transformation from the display phase to
> input phase.

Yes. But I believe that this makes a difference and really eases both the
customization, and reusablity. If the conversion from logical to visual
is done when the file is input, you can use libraries like Fribidi to ease
the task.

> Why does it have to be neutral?  Why isn't it treated as weak instead?

Compatiblity with legacy data is the most probable reason. But what do you
mean by weak? Like numbers? Or introducing more and more types?

--roozbeh