Re: [emacs-bidi] adding LRM in visual-to-logical transform

From: Ehud Karni
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] adding LRM in visual-to-logical transform
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 22:28:04 +0200

On Mon, 19 Nov 2001 21:59:37 +0200, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> > The only fool proof sulotion is to use "visual" search (and even then
> > there are problems if lines are broken).
>
> Doesn't visual search help only when you see the text on the screen?
> Otherwise, I'd imagine we will have the same problems, because it's
> not trivial to know how a given logical text will be displayed.

May be we have misunderstanding here. By "visual" I mean the conversion
of the buffer to its "visual" order and then searching. The user has no
problem to know what she is searching for because she sees the searched
string in the mini-buffer. For real user confusion I'll use regular
expression search (even limited). If the normal search (which the user
sees only the visual order) and is done on the logical order (like it
is done on M$Windows) is confusing, then reg-exp search will look like
something unpredictable whenever it will include Hebrew and digits.

Ehud.

--
 Ehud Karni           Tel: +972-3-7966-561  /"\
 Mivtach - Simon      Fax: +972-3-7966-667  \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign