Re: [emacs-bidi] debugging visual-to-logical

From: Yair Friedman (Jerusalem)
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] debugging visual-to-logical
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 12:50:50 +0200

Roozbeh Pournader <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, 21 Nov 2001, Yair Friedman (Jerusalem) wrote:
>
>> Alex Schroeder <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > Personally I don't think it makes much sense to compare things if some
>> > implementations use different tables.  Is there a really good reason
>> > to switch from the bidi types assigned in UnicodeData.txt to the one
>> > the Reference Implementation is using?
>>
>> Can we just ask Unicode guys why this change exists instead of they to
>> guess?
>
> Considering myself a half-Unicode guy (participating in two of Unicode
> internal lists, 'unicore' and 'bidi'), these are there to have a
> representative of each of the classes in the printable ASCII range. You
> see that there is no AL or AN in the 0x20-0x7E range, for example, so you
> need to change some of them to be able to test everything.
>
> There is dispute over tables that should be used for these ASCII mnemonics
> (even the two reference implementations use different tables), and the
> 'bidi' mailing list people have been asked by Unicode Technical Committee
> to decide on something for this.
>
> roozbeh

Sorry, I'm probably getting confused more and more :-( I thought that
the the difference was from changing '-' from ET to ON, and not because
of A-F being AL and 6-9 being AN.

Attached is how my sentence looks like in BiDi Word.  The first two
paragraphs are LTR the last two are RTL. The 2nd and 4th sentences have
LRM between the space after ':' and the '02'.

Is this a bug/non-conformance?  I'm sorry that I use MS as reference,
but being CVS-challenged I have to wait to the release of FriBiDi.