Re: [emacs-bidi] editing text in "visual mode"

From: Alex Schroeder
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] editing text in "visual mode"
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 12:19:51 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> I think one intuitive way might be to supply the user a "change cursor
>> direction" command and inserting LRM/RLM when this is done.
>
> This will only work when typing new text, but not when you edit text that
> already existed.  In the latter case, a user will not naturally change
> the cursor direction, since she edits random locations, not a contiguous
> portion of text.  She might as well simply insert LRM/RLM directly.

How about a visual-edit-region command which pastes the stuff into a
new buffer, converts logical to visual, disables bidi for display,
allows some editing, and when the user hits C-c C-c, the buffer is
transformed back to logical (with some arbitrary optimizing), and
replaces the original region.

This will work for new text (no region is set) and for existing text
(the user marks it).  The entire thing could be developped now, using
the bidi stuff I wrote (since it has both visual to logical and back).

Note that all the bidi stuff is available from here:

http://www.emacswiki.org/elisp/

Alex.
--
http://www.emacswiki.org/