Re: [emacs-bidi] diacritics, ligatures, etc.

From: Yair Friedman (Jerusalem)
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] diacritics, ligatures, etc.
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 19:14:21 +0200

>> From: "Yair Friedman (Jerusalem)" <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 14:14:33 +0200
>>
>> I think that it should be put to use, but definitely not as part of input
>> methods. We want the display to be correct for read files, mail messages
>> etc.
>>
>> The most logical place would be somewhere in the display code.  Emacs
>> "should know" that the diacritics are usually not stand-alone but should
>> go with the preceding character.
>
> I confess that I know almost nothing about compositions, so I don't
> know where to do this.
>
> Could someone who knows about compositions please advise where should
> Emacs make it so diacritics are displayed together with their base
> character?

I've read some more in the sources and I think it's possible to do this.
The close thing I found is Lao language, so I think I might do most of
the work needed.  However, I don't know Lao (yet) and my lisp isn't
perfect either... so I might need some help from the authors of those
packages.

I also modified the Hebrew intlfonts to include the diacritics.  Are
these maintained anymore?

The good new is that composition DTRT by default.  As you can see in the
attachment - these are "before" and "after".

We would probably need to fine-tune it more - as you can see the Holam
point is not directly above the Vav as it should, but the result is quite
readable (or will be once the bidi algorithm is applied).

One more thing. I think the Unicode standard specify the order of
characters in a composition. What does it say exactly?