Re: [emacs-bidi] Points composition - status.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Points composition - status.
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 20:45:44 +0200

> From: "Yair Friedman (Jerusalem)" <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 12:20:47 +0200
>
> 2. The input method needs to re-order the points if they are entered in
>    the "wrong" order.  Reading more sections 4.2 and 3.10 I understand
>    they have to be ordered by "Canonical Combining Classes" property of
>    the characters (the 4th field in UnicodeData file), then by code.  Is
>    this correct?  I want to verify before creating all of the decoding
>    tables etc. What might be the best strategy to do reordering?

Why do we need to reorder?  Can't we simply tell people that points
should be typed _after_ the base character?

I think reordering can lead to problems.  For example, what happens
if I want to add a diacritical to an already existing character, and
then continue inserting other characters without moving the cursor?
If you reorder in this situation, you will place the diacritical
under the wrong character, won't you?

> As this is not strictly bidi issue, is this list the most appropriate
> place to discuss this?  If not what list would be more appropriate?

I think this place is okay.  An alternative is address@hidden, if
you need a larger group of people who know about Emacs internals.