Re: [emacs-bidi] Points composition - status.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Points composition - status.
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 15:54:50 +0200

Yair Friedman (Jerusalem) wrote:

> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> From: "Yair Friedman (Jerusalem)" <address@hidden>
> >> Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 18:25:05 +0200
> >>
> >> I think it would be the best if the cursor would change the shape of the
> >> cursor to reflect the position of the character within the
> >> composition.
> >
> > Let me remind you that some display types supported by Emacs, most
> > notably the character-based terminal, don't support changes in cursor
> > shape.  We need a solution that works on all types of display, or at
> > least a back-up solution which will work where cursor shape cannot be
> > changed.
>
> Yes, but composed characters don't work on character-based terminal in
> the first place...

How do you mean ``don't work''?  You should see the first character of the
composition, IIRC.  If that doesn't work, perhaps there's some bug.

> Not if the cursor changes its shape. But I suggest that we will stay
> consistent together with other languages that use composition (Thai,
> Tibetan, etc.)
>
> It seems that forward/backward commands are working per-base
> character, while delete is done per diacritical.

That's possible, but I think having a command that deletes the base
character together with its diacriticals is better.  Perhaps Thai and
Tibetan users will like it too ;-)  It's even possible that there is such a
command already.