Re: [emacs-bidi] Bidi - will it happen ?

From: Tim Freedom
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Bidi - will it happen ?
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 18:17:57 -0700 (PDT)

--- Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, Alex Schroeder wrote:
>
> > Well, I think all the probable volunteers already know about it,
> > because it is mentioned from time to time on emacs-devel, for example.
>
> I'd expect that as well.  Also, emacs-bidi is a public mailing list, so
> anyone who is interested can easily subscribe and read what's available.

With all due respect, I did a search on google and a few other search
engines in hopes of finding how would a volunteer know/hear of this
forgoing private email.  I did a search on "emacs-devel" and "bidi"
and got virtually nothing (the only detailish mention of emacs and bidi
including status is on this list, for what its worth).  I didn't find
any search abilities specific to either list and so I might be a bit
naive in my thinking, but from my experience no one who hasn't been
previously involved or exposed to bidi in the past would know what bidi
is and/or its requirements.  Furthermore, if the info is presented such
that no Bidi knowledge is required to complete the code, I would guess
a greater deal more people would want to look into this as it would fit
within their knowledge base (ie. they don't have to learn something new).

I went back to emacs-devel (raw text search) for the past 7 months and
saw no mention of Bidi status/help-call.  I'm not refuting your expert
expectations, but what's the harm in making explicit mention of Bidi's
current status and what's required to complete it (again 2-3 sentences
and maybe point at URLs of the posts on where this is discussed) on
emacs-devel and comp.emacs.  At a minimum it would further raise
awareness.

Something like,

<begin>

 Eli's been looking into incorporating Bidirectionality into emacs
 and he has pretty much everything figured out but due to his time
 limitations would like to get some serious help in completing the
 coding portion of this task.  No Bidirectionality knowledge is
 required.  Study of the Emacs display engine code is a must though.

 Read this thread for further details,
 http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/emacs-bidi/2002-June/000515.html";

</begin>

[...]
> That's true, thanks for the understanding.  Yes, my free time is severely
> limited lately, and will remain limited for the months to come.  I might
> have some break in mid-August and around September, due to public
> holidays, but I'd rather sit and code when I have that time than posting
> more explanations or working on a site dedicated to the issue.

Fair enough.

This is the last I will post about this topic to everyone's relief :)

 .tf.