[emacs-bidi] Re: state of BIDI within stable GNU emacs (UTF8) nikud

From: Thamer Mahmoud
Subject: [emacs-bidi] Re: state of BIDI within stable GNU emacs (UTF8) nikud
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 00:10:17 +0300

[I had some trouble accessing this list through gnu.org, so my
apologies if this message appeared twice, or if someone is
inappropriately CCed]

Gregg Reynolds <address@hidden> writes:

> I had to create an Arabic Quail package to get an Arabic keyboard
> layout, e.g.

I have previously submitted a patch to emacs-dev with such additions
and other minor improvements for Arabic. It did not receive any

Eli, any thoughts on the attached patch? Is there an interest in
seeing it checked in to Emacs proper? It's a trivial patch, but I'd be
willing to sign the GNU papers if necessary.

This makes distributing a minor mode for Arabic editing, or adapting
other Hebrew-specific packages for use with Arabic, alot easier.

The attached files include the following:

arabic.patch:
      - Enable support for iso-8859-6.
      - Add properly encoded Arabic characters to the HELLO file.
      - Remove a block of code from code-pages.el that conflicts
        with the new iso-8859-6 support.

arabic.el: Language file for Arabic.

arabic.el: quail input modes for Arabic and Persian.

Regards,
Thamer Mahmoud