Re: [emacs-bidi] state of BIDI within stable GNU emacs (UTF8) nikud

From: Gregg Reynolds
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] state of BIDI within stable GNU emacs (UTF8) nikud
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 05:16:43 -0600

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 20:10:32 -0600
From: Gregg Reynolds <address@hidden>
Cc: address@hidden

However, compiling on FreeBSD 6.00, I end up with stuff like the following. I just now did this, so I haven't really investigated as I should, so I post this just in case somebody already knows what my problem is.

It's hard to say, since you didn't show the commands you used to build
Emacs; please always do that when you report problems.

Sorry 'bout that. I ran "make bootstrap" after cvs'ing the emacs-bidi branch.

Turns out that function "bidi_dump_cached_states" in bidi.c prints to stderr, but stdio is only included #ifdef TEST_STANDALONE. Since the function doesn't seem to be used, I just #if 0'ed it out and "make bootstrap" succeeded.

Regarding TEST_STANDALONE, I don't see any make targets or anything obvious for doing that. Do you have any tools/test stuff remaining for this?

What would you think about moving your TEST_STANDALONE code out of bidi.c and in to a separate driver program? Also, would it make sense to use a logging framework like Log4c (http://log4c.sourceforge.net/) instead of simulate_display?

I'm also looking at unit test framework that I think might be useful: CUnit (http://cunit.sourceforge.net/index.html), which is a GPL'ed JUnit-like framework for C.

thx,

gregg