Re: [emacs-bidi] Re: Callbacks?

From: Martin Duerst
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Re: Callbacks?
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 17:35:26 +0900

At 22:02 05/12/01, Kenichi Handa wrote:

>One idea is to use overlay.  If you setup an overlay with
>before-string and/or after-string property on a certain
>region, I think you can reorder character displaying without
>modifying Eli's bidi code.  In this case, the property value
>is such bidi controlling characters as "LRE", "RLE", "PDF".

Hello Kenichi,

Yes, reading
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/elisp-manual/html_node/elisp_627.html,
this indeed looks like an good way to go. For actual embeddings,
it should work quite nicely.

It feels like a bit of overkill to force syntactically significant
characters such as '<' and '>' to behave as strong LTR by setting
both before the before-string and the after-string property to
LRM, but if it does the job, I won't complain.

Regards, Martin.