Re: [emacs-bidi] using fribidi and Pango

From: Tomas Frydrych
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] using fribidi and Pango
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2005 16:06:49 +0000

>> I do indeed; could you please point me to the relevant file(s) in
>> the repository?
> In the emacs-bidi branch of the Emacs CVS, look for src/bidi.c.

That is very nice piece of code; for what it is worth, I think this
would be worth incorporating into fribidi.

> Sure, but Emacs has so many unique requirements that it's improbable
> that Pango (or any other similar package) supports them out of the
> box.

The Pango high level code will not do that (there is only that much that
can be generalised into a library), but in this regard Emacs is not
unique; there are other applications that have complex demands which can
only be satisfied by their own layout engine. However, scripting engine
can provide a low-level api that makes it possible to plug it into that
engine. Pango has a low level api that is quite usable and if it does
not entirely suit your needs as is, Behdad is a very reasonable guy :).
I am going to shut up now.

Tomas