[emacs-bidi] Hebrew input methods

From: Yair F
Subject: [emacs-bidi] Hebrew input methods
Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 00:23:34 +0300

Hello all,

I intend to do some work related to composition of vowel and
cantillation marks..
To test the composition code a way to add these marks is needed. As
the OS does not support adding these an input method is in place.

There are 4 input methods I intend to add to Emacs

1. SI 1452:  Somewhat complex and only partially implemented on common
OS. It doesn't include cantillation marks.
Image of this mapping is here:
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1032/si1452layout.png

2. LyX: Used in X environment - more logical and easy to use,. Also
doesn't include cantillation marks.
Image of this mapping is here:
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/8225/lyxlayout.png

3. Biblical-Tiro: A complete method. However, it is directed towards
biblical Hebrew and is not convenient for modern Hebrew users.
The tiro Guide is here:
http://www.sbl-site.org/Fonts/BiblicalHebrewTiroManual.pdf

4. Emacs: For a lack of a better name. Intend to be modern Hebrew
oriented and complete.
Image of this mapping is here:
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/7289/emacslayout.png

The grey background image is a common implementation of a Hebrew
keyboard. the black letters are the actual keys assigned.
For Vowel marks I added them illustrated with base letters, the input
method only add the mark.

I would greatly appreciate any comments or suggestions you have for
those mappings.

Thanks,
Yair