Re: [emacs-bidi] Hebrew input methods

From: Scot Becker
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Hebrew input methods
Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 23:20:25 +0100

Yair,

This looks great, I'll be very glad to get bidi+Hebrew working in Emacs.

I'm not sure what sort of suggestions you're open to, but having never learned to use an Israeli keyboard, I most enjoy using a layout that is anglo-friendly, like the' SIL' layout which SBL also offers.

http://www.sbl-site.org/Fonts/BiblicalHebrewSILManual.pdf

and here's a quick summary of the consonant and vowel layout itself:

http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/documents/SILHebKey.pdf

The advantage of this for me is that they use a more or less phonetic mapping, and have a clever way of mapping vowels (e.g. 'e' for segol, 'E' for tsere;  'a' for patach, 'A' for qamets, see the second PDF link).  This of course would be nightmarish for anyone used to typing on a proper Israeli keyboard, but it's very quick for those of us who aren't used to it.  It feels just like writing transliterated Hebrew.  The only things a person has to learn outright is where to put the letters with an ambiguous transliteration (tet, sin, shin).  The 'Tiro' mapping still uses a basically Israeli layout for the consonants, which is more memory overhead for me.

And if the layout can auto-manage the final letter forms, that's a very nice plus as well.

Scot