Re: [emacs-bidi] Control-key binding while typing (for example) Hebrew

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Control-key binding while typing (for example) Hebrew
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 18:31:53 +0300

> Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 17:20:24 +0300
> From: Amit Ramon <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> This is a feature, not a bug. The point is that, AFAIK, Emacs input
> method is simply a translation from one character to another. So, for
> example, when Emacs receives a 'x' character it is translated to
> Hebrew Samekh. However, the location of the button that sends 'x'
> depends on the keyboard layout, so the location of the key that will
> send Hebrew Samekh also depend on the layout.

I don't think so.  I think the Emacs translates a character regardless
of which key produced it.  Take a look at leim/quail/hebrew.el: all it
tells Emacs is the characters to translate.  There's no information
there regarding the layout of the keyboard.

Perhaps Handa-san could tell if this is true.

> >> And thanks for everyone who took part in developing the emacs bidi -
> >> this is really a great improvement!
> >
> >Thanks for the feedback.  I'm glad you like it, even though there's a
> >lot to be done yet.
>
> I wish I had time available to contribute more than words :) I'll at
> least try to test it - I'm already using it on a regular basis.

Yes, testing would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.