Re: [emacs-bidi] Control-key binding while typing (for example) Hebrew

From: Michael Welsh Duggan
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Control-key binding while typing (for example) Hebrew
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 18:37:06 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>> Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 15:02:30 +0900
>>
>> > I don't think so.  I think the Emacs translates a character regardless
>> > of which key produced it.  Take a look at leim/quail/hebrew.el: all it
>> > tells Emacs is the characters to translate.  There's no information
>> > there regarding the layout of the keyboard.
>>
>> Sure.  All input methods should be written assuming
>> `quail-keyboard-layout-standard'.   Have you seen the help
>> of `hebrew' input method?  It says:

>> This input method works by translating individual input characters.
>> Assuming that your actual keyboard has the `standard' layout,
>> translation results in the following "virtual" keyboard layout:
>
> How does quail use the information about the layout of the keyboard?
> All I see in the definition of the input method is a list of
> characters and their translations.  Why should it matter which
> keyboard key produced a character?  Assuming that the key that
> produces `a' in English should always produce SHIN in Hebrew, why
> should it matter what is the number of that key on the keyboard and
> what is its location?

I cannot say, philosophically, whether this is the right things to do or
not (although my instincts are to say that is is).  I can, however,
repeat the comment from quail.el:

;; Keyboard layout translation handlers.

;; Some Quail packages provide localized keyboard simulation which
;; requires a particular keyboard layout.  In this case, what we need
;; is locations of keys the user entered, not character codes
;; generated by those keys.  However, for the moment, there's no
;; common way to get such information.  So, we ask a user to give
;; information of his own keyboard layout, then translate it to the
;; standard layout which we defined so that all Quail packages depend
;; just on it.

--
Michael Welsh Duggan
(address@hidden)