Re: [emacs-bidi] Incorrect cursor display for BN characters at EOL

From: Larry Denenberg
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Incorrect cursor display for BN characters at EOL
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2010 07:30:07 -0400

>>   hello RET RET RET RET RET abc RET def ^P ^E ^Q <delete>
>>
>> [Digression:  Why does the ^P here put the cursor after the "a" rather
>> than after the "c", as I expect?  This is an Aquamacs, not bidi, thing.]

[A typo in this digression has been corrected.]

A lucky miskeying just tipped me off that this is Aquamacs intended
behavior.  I accidentally put "ddf" in the second line instead of "def",
after which ^P puts me after the "b" instead of the "a"!  I figured out
that ^P is in certain modes rebound to aquamacs-previous-line, which
tries to move visually, taking variable-width characters into account.
I submit that it's doing an awfully poor job here, but what the hey.
Disconcerting, but easy to turn off.  So this part is settled.

>In any case, please describe the display after all this input.

I believe the display is correct:  I see "hello" at the top, followed by
several blank lines, followed by a line containing "abc^?", followed by
a line containing "def".  The minibuffer contains "^Q backspace".  But
the blinking cursor is after the "o" of "hello", not after the "^?".

I realized after posting that the subject line should speak of cursor
*display*, not cursor *positioning*.  Changed.

>I cannot reproduce this with the current development sources.  When
>was your Emacs checked out and built?

I did not build this Emacs myself, but downloaded it from the nightly
build of Aquamacs 2.x (Emacs 24, Cocoa-based, "aquamacs24" branch) at
http://aquamacs.org/nightlies.shtml on June 21.  The complete output of
send-emacs-bug-report is appended, including keystrokes from startup.

For the record, I discovered this in the course of reporting an Aquamacs
bug concerning A-backspace; that report was submitted to
address@hidden  I teased out the problem described here,
which occurs only with bidi active, and simplified it by using backspace
rather than A-backspace (both have bidi-class BN).  Sounds like another
Aquamacs-only thing.  I do get the same behavior when starting with
"-Q", which supposed disables most Aquamacs-specific parts.

>> (BTW, it would be nice for this variable's doc to start with an asterisk
>> so you could set it with M-x set-variable.)
>
>Sorry, I don't want to do this.  bidi-display-reordering is an
>internal variable, not something I'd like users to play with at will.

In that case, perhaps for consistency you should remove the asterisk
from bidi-paragraph-direction (which *is* visible to M-x set-variable).

/Larry Denenberg
address@hidden
http://larry.denenberg.com/

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-apple-darwin9.8.0, NS apple-appkit-949.54)
 of 2010-06-21 on braeburn.aquamacs.org - Aquamacs Distribution 2.0a
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1038
configured using `configure  '--with-ns' '--without-x' 'CFLAGS=-arch i386 -arch
ppc' 'LDFLAGS=-arch i386 -arch ppc''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
  savehist-mode: t
  smart-frame-positioning-mode: t
  aquamacs-autoface-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  osx-key-mode: t
  tabbar-mwheel-mode: t
  tabbar-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  pc-selection-mode: t
  cua-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  smart-spacing-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  visual-line-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<ns-application-activated> <escape> X E V A L - E X
<tab> <return> ( S E T Q SPC B I D I - D I S P L A
Y - R E O R D E R I N G SPC T ) <return> H E L L O
<return> D E F ^P ^E ^Q <backspace> <menu-bar> <help-menu>
<bug-diagnosis> <send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
Shell: /bin/bash
(source)...done
Cleaning up the recentf list...done (0 removed)
29 environment variables imported from login shell (/bin/bash).
/Users/larry/Downloads/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/aquamacs/edit-modes/auctex.el
 (source)...done
/Users/larry/Downloads/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/aquamacs/edit-modes/haskell-mode/haskell-site-file.el
 (source)...done
one-buffer-one-frame-mode disabled.
Mark set [32 times]
Aquamacs is based on GNU Emacs, a part of the GNU/Linux system. It is Free
Software: you can improve and redistribute it under the GNU General Public
License, version 3 or later. Copyright (C) 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
(C) 2010 D. Reitter. No Warranty.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader emacsbug
aquamacs-mode-defaults auctex-config server tex-site smart-dnd
aquamacs-aux savehist mouse-sel one-buffer-one-frame
smart-frame-positioning drews_init color-theme-autoloads view saveplace
visual-line aquamacs-bug aquamacs-autoface-mode aquamacs-editing
sendmail recentf tree-widget cus-edit osxkeys emulate-mac-keyboard-mode
frame-cmds strings misc-fns thingatpt+ thingatpt frame-fns avoid
aquamacs-mac-fontsets fit-frame aquamacs-frame-setup aquamacs-tabbar
tabbar-window cl cl-19 tabbar easy-mmode cus-start cus-load
aquamacs-site-start cocoa-compatibility filladapt aquamacs-redo
check-for-updates aquamacs-menu osx_defaults aquamacs-tool-bar aquamacs
mac-extra-functions aquamacs-tools aquamacs-macros parse-time timezone
time-date paren delsel pc-select cua-base wid-edit regexp-opt advice
advice-preload byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile debug help-fns image-file
disp-table tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win
easymenu tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process ns multi-tty emacs)

Command line: (/Users/larry/Downloads/Aquamacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Aquamacs)

PATH:
/Users/larry/Bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/nmh/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/mysql/bin:/usr/texbin:/opt/subversion/bin:/usr/lib:/Users/larry/Bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/nmh/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/mysql/bin:/usr/texbin:/opt/subversion/bin:/usr/lib:/usr/texbin:/usr/local/texlive/2008/bin

exec-path: (/Users/larry/Bin /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin /usr/local/nmh/bin
/usr/local/bin /usr/local/mysql/bin /usr/texbin /opt/subversion/bin /usr/lib
/Users/larry/Bin /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin /usr/local/nmh/bin
/usr/local/bin /usr/local/mysql/bin /usr/texbin /opt/subversion/bin /usr/lib
/Users/larry/Downloads/Aquamacs.app/Contents/MacOS/bin
/usr/local/texlive/2008/bin)