Re: [emacs-bidi] Re: Getting started with Emacs BiDi

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Re: Getting started with Emacs BiDi
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 05:59:13 +0300

> From: Ze'ev Clementson <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 16:17:09 -0700
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> From: Ze'ev Clementson <address@hidden>
> >> Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 12:35:28 -0700
> >>
> >> It took me a little while to figure out how to turn on bidi and use it
> >> to input Hebrew in Emacs 24. It wasn't hard to figure it out, but it did
> >> require some investigative work.
> >
> > Did you find anything that is not already in the manual?
>
> Which manual? The emacs info files don't appear to have anything
> bidi-related in them (at least a search for "bidi" didn't turn up any
> hits).

There's the "Bidirectional Editing" node in the Emacs User manual.

How did you search for it?  Typing "i bidi TAB" shows 3 possible
completions.

> > There's no need to turn bidi-display-reordering on and off.  You can
> > turn it on by default and leave it that way.  Typing plain L2R Latin
> > text should look the same with bidi-display-reordering non-nil as it
> > was before Emacs 24 (barring bugs).  I know a few people who actually
> > run Emacs 24 like that, even though they don't read any bidi script,
> > and I've heard no complaints from them for quite some time, so doing
> > that should be pretty safe.
>
> Oh, that's easy than. I thought there was some reason for not having it
> on by default. If so, why isn't bidi-display-reordering defaulted to t
> in the emacs24 code?

Because I'm a coward ;-)  There are a couple of cursor positioning
problem in some situations that I wanted to fix before doing so.

> I assume it will be turned on by default when emacs24 is released?

Long before the release.  The head maintainers already asked me to do
that a month ago, in order to facilitate discovery of any remaining
bugs.