[emacs-bidi] Re: Arabic support

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: [emacs-bidi] Re: Arabic support
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 07:53:15 -0400

> From: Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 16:08:50 +0900
>
> LGSTRING may contain multiple grapheme clusters.  In the
> case of arabic, we make LGSTRING for one Arabic word then
> shape it (otherwise, the shaper can't know where in a word a
> consonant appears).

Where can I find the code which decides how to break text into
LGSTRINGs?  I'd like to see such code for both Arabic and Hebrew,
unless it's the same code.

For example, can characters like digits or other neutrals be included
in the same LGSTRING with Arabic and Hebrew?  Or will an LGSTRING
always include characters from one script only?

I'm asking because it's possible that we will need to modify
w32uniscribe.c to reorder R2L characters before we pass them to the
Uniscribe ScriptShape API, to let it see the characters in the logical
order it expects them.  That's if it turns out that Uniscribe cannot
otherwise shape them correctly.

TIA