Re: [emacs-bidi] Bidirectional editing in Emacs -- main design decisions

From: Mohammad Hossein Sekhavat
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Bidirectional editing in Emacs -- main design decisions
Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 13:58:52 +0430

On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 9:16 AM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> In each of these examples, either there's no problem having the text
> displayed in a L2R paragraph (it still gets reordered correctly),

No it doesn't. Believe me! Just an english word in a RTL line is enough to become unreadable when it is displayed LTR.

> or you can start the line with a RLM character to see better results in
> some cases.
Of course you can handle it with RLM character even if your editor doesn't support dynamic reordering at all. But we emacs users expect smart behavior.

> TeX file is not a simple text file (similar to HTML).  Supporting
> correct bidi reordering in such structured meta-text files is a
> feature that is missing. You cannot fix this by just setting paragraph
> direction.
I do not expect emacs to support correct bidi reordering based on structure of a file. I just expect it to be able to have the same
​idea
as most of other editors
, about what a paragraph is​. Although
​​emacs is still
UAX#9
​-compatible, but it is inconsistent with most of other UAX#9-compatible editors. So the blame for inconsistency is on emacs.

> Emacs currently doesn't support this.
Patches are welcome.
​Would you please let me know which functions in which files are most related how emacs ​bidi dynamic reordering algorithm separates paragraphs?

​Thanks in advance for your time Eli.​

--
Sincerely,
Mohammad Hossein Sekhavat