mode-line-inverse-video

From: Miles Bader
Subject: mode-line-inverse-video
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 14:08:39 +0900 (JST)

So can someone tell me what deal is with the `mode-line-inverse-video'
variable?  It suffices to force mode-lines (and header-lines) into
inverse-video if their face doesn't do so, but setting it to nil doesn't
do the opposite.  Since I would guess the primary use of this variable by
users is to *turn off* inverse-video mode-lines (as the default is t),
this behavior only confuses things.

I would suggest that it's simply too blunt a stick, and should be removed
(with some documentation referring to the appropriate faces to modify),
or the current behavior reversed (i.e., if it's nil, then force all
mode-lines to be non-inverse-video, otherwise do nothing).

-Miles
--
Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra.  Suddenly it flips over,
pinning you underneath.  At night the ice weasels come.  --Nietzsche