Re: modal proportionality, redux

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: modal proportionality, redux
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 21:13:34 +0900 (JST)

"Eric M. Ludlam" <address@hidden> writes:
> If the greatest complaint about using other fonts is *, %, and -, why
> not create some B&W images that mean what those characters represent,
> like a little lock, pencil
> look nice.  This would be consistent with those other modern editors
> I'm forced to use at work.

The main problem with embedded images is that they're inflexible -- if
the user's font (size) is significantly different from that envisioned
by the creator of the images, things look like crap.
[This, incidentally, is the same problem with mixing in asterisks from
another font; such mixtures tend to be very brittle, and prone to
getting screwed up by environmental changes.]

That said, I agree that the Gnus Gnu looks cool, and it would be nice to
at least offer the option of little icons instead of cryptic characters
(and perhaps the wish for a different sort of asterisk might be provided
for using the same mechanism).

> and a real line of arbitrary length with strike-through.

I tried this, and it looks quite awful.  While I prefer no line at all
to the default dashes, the dashes have a sort of character and texture
that a single unbroken line does not.

In any case, all of this whizzy stuff is probably not for 21.1.

It's still not clear to me whether it's OK to change the mode-line face or not.

[I'm not sure if the asterisk thing is a vote against or not, because
the default mode-line face -- courier -- has the *same* problem as
lucida, so using lucida wouldn't actually make it any worse.]

-Miles