Re: default bg color on ttys

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: default bg color on ttys
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 18:08:16 +0900 (JST)

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> >   * Forces the background color to *black*, as opposed to using the
> >     terminals default background (bg == "unspecified-bg").  This
> >     actually makes a difference if your terminal background is not
> >     really black, but merely blackish (e.g., I use a very dark pixmap as
> >     my terminal background).
>
> You could use the exact color definition.  Emacs now supports the
> X-style #RGB color specs on tty's as well.  You could also use
> whatever that default color is mapped to in your
> tty-defined-color-alist.

Er, well, it's not that important, but what I was trying to say was that
my terminal's background *isn't a color*, so the only thing that works
is to have emacs' background color set to "unspecified_bg".

> > I guess I don't really want to use the -bg switch on ttys, I just want
> > to override the default setting of the background-mode frame parameter,
> > preferably from the command line, or something...
>
> How about frobbing the frame-background-mode user option?

Whatever it is, should be easily done from the command line (because
the correct value is very dependent on the particular circumstances in
which you're using emacs).

I tried doing: emacs -nw -q -eval "(setq frame-background-mode 'dark)"
but that didn't work, and there's no other advertised way to do this,
other than running customize.  How about a new command-line option (or
it could just parse `-bg dark' or `-bg light' as being special, and set
the background-mode instead of the actual color)?

-Miles
--
Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra.  Suddenly it flips over,
pinning you underneath.  At night the ice weasels come.  --Nietzsche