Re: image and display issues still

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: image and display issues still
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 13:29:21 -0500 (EST)

(Apologies if this message turns out to be large.  I'm trying to
provide a test case containing three images.)

Gerd Moellmann <address@hidden> writes:
> > (2) If I start up Emacs as a single frame, and fire up Gnus, and look
> >     at a news article with an image too big for the window displaying
> >     the article buffer, and that image at the end of the article as
> >     far as I can tell, I can't look at the bottom of the image.
>
> Could you please check if that is fixed?

Just finished rebuilding from updated sources, and gave it a try.  I
still have problems with it.  My current test case is
alt.binaries.jeri-ryan article "More pics of Jeri at the MI2 premiere"
posted by "Ms Tracey" on 29-Oct, 68-line frame in 6x10 font, split
between summary and article windows, with all three images being
displayed.  (With the version of Gnus I'm using, I had to click on
each image indicator to get Gnus to display the image inline.)  I'll
try to include the images at the end of this message, but I'm still
learning my way around MML mode.  If you need me to send another test
case, let me know.

I haven't been able to get to the bottom of any of the images without
removing the tool bar and manually growing the article window enough
to show the whole image.  Once I do, then it's also possible for me to
see just the lower part of the image; if the window isn't tall enough
to show the whole thing, I don't seem to be able to get anything but
the top part.

In the article buffer, if I use C-v, I get down to the point where the
top of the first image is at the top of the window.  Further C-v
presses don't do anything.  With right-arrow and C-e I can move
forward through the buffer and position the cursor on the open square
bracket after the second image, with that line at the top of the
window and the third image below it.  Using M-v does move me back
through the buffer, showing me the top of the second image, and then
the top of the first image.  If I move back to that same square
bracket, between second and third images, hitting C-l puts me back at
the top of the buffer, with the cursor at the first(!) image.

> > (3) If I have two normal frames displayed, moving the mouse cursor
> >     from one to the other doesn't cause the flashing text cursor to
> >     start without some additional input.  Moving the mouse back into
> >     the frame that last had the "active" cursor does cause that cursor
> >     to start flashing again right away.
>
> I think I've fixed that now.  The problem was that idle timers weren't
> run.

Still isn't working for me.  My keyboard.c does appear to be current,
with your change:

    revision 1.581
    date: 2000/10/31 16:31:04;  author: gerd;  state: Exp;  lines: +1 -1
    (read_char) <wrong_kboard>: Make sure that we
    process idle timers while waiting for another event.

> > (1) If I start up Emacs with a frame with no minibuffer, and a
> >     two-line minibuffer-only frame, the updating of the minibuffer is
> >     unreliable.  I don't get "C-x -" or "Find file: /foo/bar/" prompts
> >     anywhere visible; I do get "Garbage collecting..." but I don't get
> >     the "done" message".
> >
> >     Also, in this situation, some text in the main Emacs frame
> >     flickers, as if it's being redrawn a lot.  I mostly noticed it
> >     with the mode line.
>
> I'd guess something I installed during the last days fixes this.
> Could you please check?

Yes, this seems to be working fine for me now.