Re: default bg color on ttys

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: default bg color on ttys
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 17:26:24 +0200 (IST)

On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Robert J. Chassell wrote:

> It is easier to explain to a novice how to start a working Emacs on
> their (most likely misconfigured) system by giving them a command line
> option than by teaching them about .emacs files or teaching them how
> to use Emacs interactively while the display is in a bad state.

My impression from reading gnu.emacs.help seems to suggest otherwise:
most of the newbies there expect to be told about a command or a line to
put into .emacs, not a command-line option.  This is especially true for
colors.

Kai, is this impression wrong?

> Also, it is a matter of first impressions:  what comes across as
> easier for a novice, potential Microsoft Windows migrant to use?

MS-Windows migrants don't know what command-line arguments are.  They
launch programs by clicking on their icons.  They expect any changes from
the default appearance to be done from the menu bar's Options menu.  I
think such users will find a command-line option and a .emacs
customization equally easy (or equally hard, as the case may be), assuming
that the docs explains both of them in a clear manner.

> (And that the properly configured Emacs has auto-fill turned on for
> writing text or email, and other obvious features

I second this.