Re[1]: tool-tip default

From: Eric M. Ludlam
Subject: Re[1]: tool-tip default
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 09:33:21 -0500

>>> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> seems to think that:
>
>On Sun, 12 Nov 2000, Robert J. Chassell wrote:
>
>>    > Of course, the documentation should all be in Texinfo, but it isn't.
>>    > Lots of documentation is in the `Commentary' section of an Emacs
>>    > Lisp file.
>>
>>    Last time we brought up this issue, Richard was opposed to adding
>>    significant amounts of material to the Emacs manual, telling that it
>>    would make the printed manual too large and too expensive.
>>
>>    He did agree to have separate manuals, like we have with Eshell,
>>    WoMan, Ebrowse, and others, because those aren't printed with the core
>>    Emacs docs.
>>
>> I agree with having separate manuals -- what I don't like is when the
>> documentation is in an Emacs Lisp
>
>Someone(tm) should invest the necessary effort to copy the usage info
>from the *.el files into the manual.  This is a lot of work (although
>each .el file needs only a few minutes of copy/yank plus add markup).
>I'd like to urge everybody who has a few minutes to spare to take a random
>.el file and document it.
  [ ... ]

I have some Emacs Lisp which will convert function and variable
documentation strings into texinfo source.  Anyone who wants is
welcome to use it if they like.  It should be possible to convert
them to this purpose.

http://www.ultranet.com/~zappo/eieio.shtml (eieio-doc.el)
http://www.ultranet.com/~zappo/semantic.shtml (document.el)

I get discouraged tracking two sets of documentation and use some of
these tools to keep things up to date automatically.

Eric

--
|\/\/\___/\/\/|  Eric Ludlam                 address@hidden; address@hidden
\____ o o ____/  Homepage:                      http://www.ultranet.com/~zappo