Re: transient-mark-mode

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: transient-mark-mode
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 22:17:01 +0200

> From: Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 09:51:18 -0800
>
> Given that the major version number of emacs will change, maybe we
> could also change the default for `transient-mark-mode' to be on.

IMHO, Emacs 21 will change too many things already, we could live
without another one, especially so close to a release.

> It is confusing for new users (I've heard: "You mean I select
> something and it does not show on the screen"? a countless number of
> times).

I think this particular aspect doesn't present a problem, not for
newbies, anyway: newbies select portions of text by dragging the mouse
over it, and in that case Emacs _does_ mark the region.

> Is this something that would need a poll, or people aggree that is a
> good idea?

I think we will get to reviewing many default settings after v21.1 is
out.  Please raise this issue again then.