Re: Customize face editor: [Value menu] *

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Customize face editor: [Value menu] *
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 09:52:14 +0200 (IST)

[Please keep Per on the CC list, as he said he wasn't reading emacs-devel.]

On 30 Nov 2000, Miles Bader wrote:

> In my new implementation, the same situation looks like this:
>
>             [X] Height: [Value Menu] Height in 1/10 pt: 80
>             [ ] Weight: *
>             [ ] Slant: *

I think we need to replace the "*" with something like "(unspecified)"
or maybe "(default)".  I agree with Kai and Per: the asterisk is too
cryptic to be useful.  It also looks like a bug in the value menu.

I'd also suggest to add a short sentence which says that to change an
attribute, the user needs to check its box and then choose a value
from the value menu.

Btw, on my display, the unchecked attributes look greyed, which is
another visual cue that they are inactive.  But I think a verbal
description will still be useful.  Perhaps we could implement it with
:help-text, as we already do with other parts of the Customize
buffers.