Re: Another minor thing

From: Andrew Innes
Subject: Re: Another minor thing
Date: 19 Dec 2000 13:19:28 +0000

On 18 Dec 2000 17:14:45 +0900, Miles Bader <address@hidden> said:
>Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>>On 18 Dec 2000, Miles Bader wrote:
>>> Currently, the cursor *always* follows before/after-strings, even if the
>>> corresponding overlay end-point will move upon insertion; this has the
>>> odd effect that typing at such a point results in the newly inserted
>>> text appearing somewhere distant from the cursor.  I'd like to change it
>>> so that the cursor's position will reflect the insertion type of the
>>> appropriate overlay end-point.
>>
>>Could you please post a simple example of this, so that the problem can
>>be reproduced?
>
>Evaluate:
>
>   (progn
>     (insert "xyz123\n")
>     (let* ((beg (- (point) 4))
>            (end (- (point) 1))
>            (ov (make-overlay beg end nil t t)))
>       (overlay-put ov 'before-string "{{{{")
>       (overlay-put ov 'after-string "}}}}")
>       (goto-char beg)))
>
>and note the cursor is after the "{{{{" string.  Now type, and note
>where the characters appear.  Also note that it's impossible to position
>the cursor at the point where characters appear.

In the 21.0.94 pretest, when I type "a" while positioned on the "1", I
hit a redisplay bug.  The "a" is drawn where the "1" was, and then a new
copy of the {{{{ string and the rest of the line is drawn after it.  New
copies of {{{{ appear everytime I type something.  The display is
correct after doing C-l.

Can anyone else reproduce this?

FWIW, it doesn't happen in -nw mode.

AndrewI

PS. Something else that I don't understand: I get xyz459 on the first
line, but I don't see where the 459 comes from.  (They really are in the
buffer.)  Is this a bug too?