Re: newbie .emacs proposal (was Re: RTFM Was: M-x goto-line binding)

From: Karl Eichwalder
Subject: Re: newbie .emacs proposal (was Re: RTFM Was: M-x goto-line binding)
Date: 07 Jan 2001 17:13:26 +0100

> >   -global-font-lock-mode turned on by default

Yes, that's one of the first things users are asking for.

> >   -column-number-mode turned on by default

Maybe, the modeline is already crowed enough?  Personally, at very rare
occasions I need this info (and nobody ever asked for this setting); I'm
happy with `C-x ='.

> >   -text-mode turned on by default (in *scratch*?)

No, *scratch* is for Emacs Lisp.  But for text-mode auto-fill should
turned on (maybe, in combination with a line length of 72 characters).

> >   -a setting to tell Emacs to ask for confirmation when quitting

Yes, I'd like to see such a setting by default.  I'm using:

(defun ask-before-quit ()
  "Ask if the user really wants to quit Emacs."
  (interactive)
  (yes-or-no-p "Really quit emacs? "))

(add-hook 'kill-emacs-query-functions 'ask-before-quit)

> Why do you think these settings are not good for non-newbies?

Yes, I also think these settings are good for all "modern" Emacs users.

--
work : address@hidden                          |                   ,__o
     : http://www.suse.de/~ke/             |                 _-\_<,