Re: ill-advised changes [was Re: key bindings in hideshow.el]

From: thi
Subject: Re: ill-advised changes [was Re: key bindings in hideshow.el]
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 02:30:14 -0800

   From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
   Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 11:30:42 +0200 (IST)

   This message is not directed at anyone in particular.

   Please do not assume that people who write here have hostile intent.
   Please do not proliferate a perceived hostility by reacting in an
   unfriendly manner.

   We should try to cooperate here.  Cooperation means that we should
   always assume that our opponents mean well, and that they strive
   towards the same common goal, even if we think their choice of words
   is unfortunate or the means they choose are mistaken.

   The upshot of what Dave asked for was to discuss non-trivial changes
   before they are committed, especially during last stages of a pretest.
   I think this is a reasonable request.  I'm sure everybody here wants
   to see Emacs 21.1 making it out the door sooner rather than later.

why do you mention "hostile intent" and "proliferation" and "opponents"?
are we "wasting bandwidth" again?  are these words friendly?

anyway, do you have any suggestions on how to resolve minor mode
keybindings that conflict w/ those of a major mode?  i understand that
some people don't want to think about or talk about this topic at this
point -- that's fine; they are welcome to archive and revisit later like
anyone else on the list.  perhaps you could provide a pointer to
previous discussion or a policy/convention/faq blurb somewhere?

thi