Re: Comments on emacs keyboard macros

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Comments on emacs keyboard macros
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 13:44:17 -0500 (EST)

       ... Instead of recording keystrokes ...
       why not replace the keystrokes by the names of the functions ...

       (defun foo-example ()
        "PLEASE INSERT YOUR DOCUMENTATION HERE!"
         (isearch-forward-regexp "^n")
         (beginning-of-line)
         (forward-word)
         (copy-to-register-compatibility-binding ?1)
         (command next-line))

Years ago, if I remember rightly, Dave Gillespie wrote a library that
did this.  He included it in early versions of Emacs Calc, as part of
macedit.el, but the code is gone now.  There were various problems
with the original, but I think they could have been cleaned up without
too much trouble.

       I suspect that the reason that this has not been done before now
       is that many functions invoked interactively via a key binding
       behave differently than those invoked inline from Lisp code, with
       respect to their argument collection.  ...

Maybe this was one of the problems.  I don't know.

You might hunt for a very early version of Emacs Calc.

--
    Robert J. Chassell                  address@hidden
    Rattlesnake Enterprises             http://www.rattlesnake.com