Re: Unicode support

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Unicode support
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 09:24:02 +0300 (IDT)

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > I think you are wrong: Emacs 21 does not have any capabilities Emacs
> > 20 didn't have, and the massive internal changes are mostly related
> > to the display engine, much less to Mule.
>
> But many changes to provide Unicode support will involve the display
> engine!

No, I don't think so.  The display engine's interaction with the
non-ASCII characters support is mainly in two areas:

  - it uses various functions and macros to walk the buffer one character
    at a time (since Emacs uses variable-length encoding of characters);

  - it maps characters to font codepoints

I think the latter doesn't have to change radically for Unicode.  As for
the former, those functions and macros are not specific to the display
engine, and need to be rewritten for Unicode anyway.