Re: Keywords header line

From: Pavel Janík
Subject: Re: Keywords header line
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 16:01:50 +0200

   From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
   Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 16:12:22 +0300 (IDT)

Hi,

   > > If a package has this header line, it got listed in the finder. What if
   > > author does not want this file to be listed there? I'd like to see some
   > > `meta' keyword like `none' which will mean "do not list me in the
   > > finder".
   >
   > Why would we want some package to not be found by finder?
   >
   > I _hate_ undocumented functions, features, packages, etc.

me too, but why having all 8 files viper*.el listed? Is there any reason to
list all of 30 eshell files? In my opinion, viper.el should have correct
Keywords header. And all other viper-* files should have Keywords: none or
such (and package finder should not list them at all). Also, there are
obsoleted files and we would be against us advertising them now. Maybe we
should also invent Keywords: unspecified which will be group of packages
which we can not be easily grouped right now. E.g. pp.el does not have
Keywords header. Should it be lisp or wp? I do not know exactly. Does not
matter. If we do not have a group for it, just put unspecified there so
people can find it through finder. In the current state, people do not know
about pp.el at all. Only one notice about pp.el is in Emacs manual (*
Randal Schwartz wrote `pp.el', a pretty-printer for lisp objects.). So
people can not find it even if we have it. Adding Keywords header can help
a bit, but I agree with you that this is not enough. If the user can find
it, but its Commentary section is empty, it can not help.
--
Pavel Janík

Yeah, but you have to be masochist enough to use TeX!
                  -- Stephane Boucher in gnu.emacs.help