Re: Emacs 21 font issues and manual window manipulation.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs 21 font issues and manual window manipulation.
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 11:24:36 +0200 (IST)

On 22 Oct 2001, Kevin A. Burton wrote:

> > > Yes... but where do I get the integer value for left and top?
> >
> > These are the coordinates of point in character cell units,
> No.  Left and top are *not* character cell units.  They are pixel relative to
> the current display.

You are right, sorry for the confusion.

> > like for any other Emacs frame.  You should be able to compute them from the
> > top and left coordinates of the frame or window and the relative position of
> > point inside the window.
> I tried this too.  It is too flaky.
> - - menu-bar-mode, scroll-bar-mode, etc get in the way.
> - - the presence of setnu-mode and other glyphs can screw this up :(

Well, as a temporary workaround, you could momentarily warp the mouse
pointer to where point is (use set-mouse-position to do that), pop up the
tooltip, and then return the mouse pointer to where it was.  Does that

> > > This is frame-relative and x-show-tip is display relative.  I need to get
> > > the
> > > x,y coords for the point WRT the display.
> >
> > ??? Why wrt the display?  Don't you want the tooltip at some frame-relative
> > position, or even just near point, as if the user moved the mouse pointer
> > above the text she just typed?
> It shouldn't have anything to do with the mouse pointer.

I said ``_as_if_ the user moved the mouse pointer''.

> Instead I need this right next to the point.  The current x-show-tip is
> relative
> to the mouse pointer and not the (point) :(

Sure, the tooltips were never designed for popping off point movement,
that's why you miss this.