Re: idea -> internal frames?

From: Kevin A. Burton
Subject: Re: idea -> internal frames?
Date: 29 Oct 2001 17:13:44 -0800

>     > For speedbar, should the window be outside the usual window hierarchy?
>     > In other words, should next-window and walk-windows see the speedbar
>     > window, or should they ignore it?
>
>     IMHO, these commands should ignore Speedbar.
>
> Some other questions, to figure out what is the most useful feature
> for this job:
>
> * Should there be any keyboard-command to select the Speedbar window?

Yes.  Maybe somethink like walk-${whatever-feature-it-is-called}

> * Should it be possible for a Lisp program to select the Speedbar window, even
> temporarily?

yes... I think so.

> * Are there internal uses of walk-windows (or equivalent constructs) which do
> need to see these windows, perhaps for redisplay purposes?  In particular, I
> am thinking of the code that checks whether a buffer appears in more than one
> window, but there could be others.

hm.  good question.  Maybe this is necessary.

> * Should the speedbar window have the full height of the frame, including the
> minibuffer's share of the height?

I think it depends.  I think the following layouts could be used.

Showing a special window in the WEST position...

 ---------------------
| S |                 |
| P |                 |
| E |                 |
| C |                 |
| I |                 |
| A |                 |
| L |                 |
 --------------------

Showing a special window in the SOUTH position...  This could be good for
compiler messages that a user wants to keep around.  Granted we can basically do
this already but one may wish to have a SPECIAL window in this location.

 ---------------------
|                     |
|                     |
|                     |
|                     |
|                     |
|                     |
| ------------------- |
|    S P E C I A L    |
 ---------------------

> Anyway, it seems to me that the best feature for this sort of thing is to be
> able to create some special windows at any edge of a frame.  These windows
> could be designed so that they never change size except when the frame does,
> and are not deleted by one-window.

sounds good :)

> next-window would normally not see them, but there could be a special mode in
> which it does see them.  Or each of these windows could have a flag which
> controls whether next-window will see it.

Ah.  good idea.

Kevin

- --

Kevin A. Burton ( address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden )
        Jabber - address@hidden,  Web - http://relativity.yi.org

Repeat after me: Freedom and personal responsibility good, serfdom and
tyrannical control bad.