Re: lexical mumblings

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: lexical mumblings
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 11:42:56 -0500

> > There are other benefits too, of course
> And if Emacs ever gets multiprocessing on the Lisp level, context
> switches become cheaper with lexical bindings (you'll have to
> unbind/rebind the special bindings stack when switching from one Lisp
> process to another.)

Another one is that if we can expect the large majority
of variables to be statically scoped, then we can afford slower
dynamic variables (f.ex. we can more easily add things like watchers,
or text-local variables (where the value depends on text-properties)
or whatever else strikes our fancy).

But personally, I find the main benefit is the prospect of
making function calls faster and of having efficient closures
(rather than building lambda terms at run-time which then get
interpreted).

        Stefan