Re: setnu-mode and Emacs 21.

From: Michael Welsh Duggan
Subject: Re: setnu-mode and Emacs 21.
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 09:24:20 -0500

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden> writes:
>> If creating hundreds or thousands of overlays does not work
>> (performance-wise), then other features that could profit from it
>> working right will also be slow, and won't be "fixed" by the
>> line-numbering-specific change you're suggesting.

[...]

> Perhaps the right thing to do is to have an interface that lets user
> code create overlays only for parts of the buffer that are displayed
> (and allows undisplayed overlays to eventually go away).  The
> `jit-lock' font-lock mode does something similar (I think), but I don't
> know enough about it to say whether it could be used for other purposes.
> If not, then maybe the mechanism it uses could be extended.

In point of fact, the following entry from NEWS makes this even more
doable:

** font-lock can manage arbitrary text-properties beside `face'.
*** the FACENAME returned in font-lock-keywords can be a list
of the form (face FACE PROP1 VAL1 PROP@ VAL2 ...) so you can set
other properties than `face'.
*** font-lock-extra-managed-props can be set to make sure those extra
properties are automatically cleaned up by font-lock.

--
Michael Duggan
(address@hidden)