Re: setnu-mode and Emacs 21.

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: setnu-mode and Emacs 21.
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 10:10:50 +0100

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 10:31:13 +0200 (IST), Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> Come on! that's _got_ to be an exaggeration!  Otherwise, how come
> overlays were used since their introduction in Emacs 19, on machines that
> are much slower than what we have today, and no one ever said they were
> useless?

Is not an exaggeration, because I've *very emphatically* not said
they're useless, only "they have no use for me". I think I only
imagine the kind of projects that need lots and lots of them ;)

> Perhaps they were not designed for having thousands of them, after all?

That's true, I think.

> Please suggest a better implementation, then.  It's not useful to argue
> about whether the current one is bad or not unless we have an alternative
> to consider.

You're right, and I don't know enough about the implementation of
overlays to suggest something better, so I'll stop now.

Thanks,

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u