Re: MAINTAINERS file and .el files?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: MAINTAINERS file and .el files?
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 04:48:06 -0700 (MST)

    My personal view is that putting my name into a file as its maintainer
    means a long-term committment.  It means I don't want anyone to change
    that file without my say-so (unless I'm dead).

We have never treated the Maintainer keyword with that sort of
bureaucratic rigidity, and we should not.  It would tie us up.  The
Emacs maintainers must always be able to fix things.  However, when
the change is not trivial, we try to consult with the maintainer.  And
we try to inform the maintainer about all changes (though it is
painful to do this without diffmon).

    So, MAINTAINERS or no MAINTAINERS, I'd prefer that people talked
    before they commit changes.  But that's just me.

To discuss every change before it is committed would be a lot of extra
work and slowdown.  We can't afford to work that way.  It is better
to discuss them afterward, if there's any problem.