Byte compiling questions

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Byte compiling questions
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2001 18:00:18 -0800

  I got this error:

    Compiling mh-utils.el
    While compiling the end of the data in file
/usr/local/src/mh-e/src/mh-utils.el:
      ** The function `gnus-article-highlight-citation' is not known to be
defined.
    Wrote /usr/local/src/mh-e/src/mh-utils.elc

  I made it go away by placing the (require) in the function below in
  (eval-and-compile) as shown. Is this the right thing to do?

(defun mh-gnus-article-highlight-citation ()
  "Highlight cited text in current buffer using gnus."
  (interactive)
  (eval-and-compile (require 'gnus-cite))
  (let ((modified (buffer-modified-p))
        (gnus-article-buffer (buffer-name))
        (gnus-cite-face-list
         '(gnus-cite-face-2 gnus-cite-face-3 gnus-cite-face-4 gnus-cite-face-5
           gnus-cite-face-6 gnus-cite-face-7 gnus-cite-face-8 gnus-cite-face-9
           gnus-cite-face-10 gnus-cite-face-11 gnus-cite-face-1)))
    (gnus-article-highlight-citation t)
    (set-buffer-modified-p modified)))

  I also got this:

    While compiling mh-subject-thread-to-sequence in file
/usr/local/src/mh-e/src/mh-seq.el:
      ** reference to free variable mh-scan-subject-regexp

  Now mh-scan-subject-regexp is a defvar in mh-e.el which is required by
  mh-seql.el. I don't understand why I'm getting the free variable
  reference.

  Finally, and this is why this was posted to emacs-devel instead of
  gnu.emacs.help, is the code expected to byte-compile clean before
  being checked into Emacs?

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD
Maintainer of comp.mail.mh FAQ and mh-e. Vote Libertarian!