Re: table.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: table.el
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 20:20:18 -0500

>     The reason why I added such wrappers (although they're rather ad-hoc
>     and very ugly as far as the code is concerned) was to improve the
>     feature set and consistency of the interface, for the benefit of
>     the user.
> There are other ways (less elegant, but straightforward) to implement
> the user interface feature itself.  New Lisp-level features are not
> needed to *do* the job, only to make it more elegant.

I don't care so much about elegance as I care about robustness in the
face of further code maintenance.

> Making it more elegant is not always a worth-while use of time
> when our resources are limited.  Other jobs that will improve
> Emacs for end users are much more important.

Sharing code that should be shared is a good way to improve Emacs
for the end user because it ensures that when something gets
fixed it gets fixed at all the places where it's used.

See src/w32*.c for examples,

        Stefan