Re: studying emacs internals

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: studying emacs internals
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 17:20:00 -0700 (MST)

    For the vector itself (let it be named `v'), I set v->size = 0
    because I read at the bottom of gc_sweep() in alloc.c that if v->size
    is zero, the garbage collector will call lisp_free() and remove the
    vector from the list. Perhaps there is a more proper way to do it.

gc_sweep will free any vector that wasn't marked by GC
and was not specially handled above--regardless of the size.
However, if you want it to call free for you, then there has
to be something in the C code that knows about that kind of structure.

By the way, in GNU we do not write `()' after a function name
to indicate "this is a function".  `foo()' is not a function,
it is a function call with no arguments.