Re: Customize and autoloaded libraries

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Customize and autoloaded libraries
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 08:03:32 -0700 (MST)

Defining `defhook' and changing so many hooks to use it is a large
change.  We have better things to do with our time, and asking users
to change their code is a burden on them.  I am thoroughly against it.

Perhaps there is some way that :type 'hook could cause this other
default value of :initialize.  Is that possible?

If not, perhaps the other solution is best: not merging values, but
making the initialization happen before the add-hook is really done.
That way, we can keep using defcustom with no problem or
inconvenience.