Re: completing-read in E21

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: completing-read in E21
Date: 06 Dec 2001 17:23:32 +0100

>     For example, I want to visit the buffer containing the file `thisfile.c'
>     and start typing `C-x b thisf' when ido-switch-buffer reports "No Match"
>     because I haven't opened the file yet.  So I just hit C-f which brings
>     me into ido-find-file with `thisf' as the initial input (usually allowing
>     me to just hit RET to open the file).
>
>     For this purpose, it is necessary to be able to fill the minibuffer
>     with initial input!
>
> I don't think it is necessary.  You can let the user type M-n to pull
> the default into the minibuffer.  Why do you think saving that one
> keystroke is so important?

Because the current input in the minibuffer determines the choices
also presented in the minibuffer (like iswitchb does).  So it is not
just avoiding an extra (superfluous) keystroke, it is also getting the
proper interactive response while switching from one state to another.

And ido-find-file actually avoids using the minibuffer history, as it returns
from the completing-read multiple times during reading of a path and file name,
so it really doesn't make sense to use the minibuffer history in this case
(it would actually clutter the history with a lot of short strings).

And because the mantra for ido is `using a minimum of keystrokes'!

So I don't see any reason for deprecating/removing the feature which does
have very useful purposes - and there is code depending on it!
OTOH, I don't disagree that its use in general should be avioded.